Tuesday, January 10, 2006

I've meant to blog about the Island style driver, but just never got around to it. Now's the time. Here on Kauai, traffic is a much talked about subject. It's true, since there is basically one, for the most part, two lane road from the North Shore to Lihue, one does encounter some maddening stop and go traffic. The maximum speed limit on the island is 50 MPH. For the most part, people stick right to that number. A lot of them tend to drive even slower, then speed up a little, then slow back down. It doesn't matter if it's a visitor or a local. To make matters worse for me, Arby needs to get a running start when driving uphill. And I mean a good running start. When Arby is running good, I can get all the way up to 65, which is needed for the one BIG hill on the way home. Invariably, someone will be in front of me going slow. Hitting the hill at or around 50 results in downshifting halfway up and lugging along at 35 until I hit the top.

The funny thing is that I even let it bother me, and for the most part I just shrug it off. All I have to do is think back to how the traffic is in Southern California and everything is alright in my world. Aloha.

7 Comments:

Anonymous one eyed jack said...

do they use turn signals like socal drivers?

3:29 PM  
Blogger puttzle said...

Occasionally.

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mikey,
The Sheriff's in town. The good news is there are no active warrants showing for you. Nancy and I are going to be parking our butts on Kalapaki beach probably right in front of the Marriott. One of Nancy's old friends is coming down to meet us for lunch (Duke's) about 11:00 a.m.. We'll probably be here til 2:00 p.m.. Then we get back on the ship to head for Maui. Love to see you if you can make it. Surf actually looks pretty decent in the bay. We've been watching it since we docked about 1/2 hour ago.

Later,
Sheriff Bob

8:42 AM  
Blogger puttzle said...

Crap, Sheriff Bob, by now you are cruising to Maui! Sorry I missed you, give me a little warning next time, eh?

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheriff Bob,
Don't forget to give the other Mike a call when you hit Maui.

Puttz,
You missed a great spacelab sighting the other day.

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Puttz,
Sorry about the timing yesterday. The last time we made this trip, we did the islands in different order, and I was a little disoriented about which day we were going to be on which island. I'll give you more notice next time.
Sheriff Bob

4:59 PM  
Blogger puttzle said...

I'll look forward to it!

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home