Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Once again, the surf is at a minimum. Very small, great conditions, beautiful day.

This morning, on my way back from checking Hanalei, I got another flat. Of course, it was in one of the worst places for it to happen. I was just heading down toward the Kalihiwai bridge when all hell broke loose. Thump, thump, thump. I slowed down and hoped I could make it up the hill, which is one of the killer hills around these parts. Somehow, I limped to the top, where I pulled over and hopped out for a look-see. The tire was shredded and the rim was smoking! Another few yards and I'm sure the tire would have come off the rim. I grabbed my stuff out of Arby and stuck out my thumb. Within two minutes, a kindly local couple picked me up and gave me a ride home. Fortunately for me, my neighbor has two vehicles and was kind enough to let me use his truck to go to Kapa'a for a new tire. While I was at it, I got two, since one of my rims is totally bent, a result of me miscalculating a turn and smacking a curb a few months ago. Total cost, $144.00, and a lunch for my neighbor. Tires aren't cheap, that's for sure! At least I can stop worrying about tires, at least for a few weeks. I'll have to save up some more $$$ and get two more, as well as find a rim so I can have a decent spare. Life in Paradise...

Aloha.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

why not just ditch Arby and use that thumb all the time?

8:15 AM  
Blogger puttzle said...

That's a thought.

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home