Friday, August 04, 2006

Something Hit the Fan

I'm back. I had a great time, but needed a lot more of it. Of course, Maui has changed considerably in my 23 year absence. There was definitely a Southern California feeling to much of it, more than I would have liked to see, but not unexpected. I braved the dreaded commute from the center of the island, and it wasn't as bad as I expected. However, I must admit I think I beat it by about 15 to 30 minutes. It only took me an hour to go 20 miles, I hear 2 hours is routine.

Ka'anapali Beach is another matter, and another world in itself. I didn't make it over to Wailea, which I hear is also crazy. I understand why Ka'anapali is such a desirable destination resort, with a view, beach and sunsets second to none. When the sun goes down between Lana'i and Moloka'i, it is stunning. The amount of people was also stunning. Since I last was here, they have built about 10 new high rises (or so it seemed) and constructed a sidewalk along the beach. There is a continuous stream of humanity occupying it. The beachside restaurants are packed! It was a nuthouse.

I now realize that my earlier time on the island had created a strong link, stronger than I knew. I love Maui, even now as different as it is. Meeting my young great-niece and great-nephew for the first time was incredible, as was seeing my niece and my mom. I also got to spend some time (but not enough!) with old friends from back in the days. All this has made me rethink my place of residence.

Which brings me to the next part of the story. Kaua'i is beautiful and I enjoy it here. I like my job and the pace of the North Shore. I am lucky to have a place to live. Oh wait, that's had a place to live. I don't know if I ever mentioned that the container home I occupy is an unpermitted dwelling. As is my neighbor's. He lives in what used to be a storage shed and over the past dozen or so years has added on and fixed it up. His green thumb has resulted in a veritable jungle. I must say that I have done my part, improving my surrounding area.

The county has decided to hassle my landlord and now we both have to vacate our "homes". My neighbor's place has to be leveled. The container can be used for storage with the proper permits, but they have made it clear they will be checking for anyone living in it. Non-compliance will result in fines, retroactive 1.5 years, of something like $500 a day. At that point, since my landlord would not be able to come up with the $250,000+, they will put a lien on the property and confiscate it! The guy has lived on Kaua'i some 30+ years, as has my neighbor. He's a Vietnam Vet, fer chrissakes. Only problem is he is the wrong ethnicity. It's true. Nor does he have enough money to overcome it, unlike some others here. This place sucks that way.

The neighbor and I are already on the lookout and maybe something will fall in our laps. With luck, we have 30-45 days. So, I guess it is decision time once again. Both places have their good and bad sides. I think Maui offers me a chance to do computer work again. With that though, may come more stress. It's hotter and muggier there. It's a lot more crowded, but the roads are better. I know Maui. I know the surf layout. I know lots more people. I don't feel like that here. But, as I mentioned before, I like my job here and the pace of life. I have a lot of thinking to do. Aloha.

2 Comments:

Blogger from4doors said...

hey puttz! were you in ka'anapali on thurs, aug 3? were you walking down the boardwalk in front of leilani's with a red fun-board?

8:52 AM  
Blogger puttzle said...

Yup!

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home